Forum - General Questions

Question

Hole in UPC

Good day to you all, soundtrack collectors community :) As a newbie I have a question. I recently purchased a CD from ebay, but it had a hole in the bar code. What does it mean? Many thanks.

dimetr1382, November 20, 2007; 11:45 AM

Answers

That usually means it was either a cut-out item (like what you'd find in a discount bin at a music store), or possibly distributed for promotional purposes, and so they punched the barcode to prevent resale of the item.

kriegerg69, November 20, 2007; 12:49 PM

It means that the record label issued it for promotional use.
So either a radio station, soundtrack critic, or a store had it to demo at one point.
Sometimes if you buy CDs in a box set, they may be like that like that too, for example about 7 years ago I bought a "Double CD Pack" of Crimson Tide and The Rock released by Holloywood Records in one box. Both CDs were sealed, but had hole punches in the UPC.

The worst part is that sometimes they put a slice right through the spine of the CD case, I hate that!

timt, November 20, 2007; 12:54 PM

The sealed discs with barcode holes are the promotional air play items. The used record stores may have them for sale often as they are sometimes sent to such as promotional tools. The ones with the jewell case slash are the discontinued items and are "cut outs". I hate that too. especially when it damages the inserts.

The same thing was done to vinyl years ago to one extent or another ranging from a small punch hole to an entire corner of the jacker snipped off.

I don't mind the bar code punch holes.

victoravalentine, November 20, 2007; 1:22 PM

I hate it!

coma, November 20, 2007; 4:20 PM

Yeah, make that a double!...

I don't believe I have seen this 'mutulation' of music items for whatever reason anywhere else outside the United States.

serifiot, November 20, 2007; 5:55 PM

I agree there can be better ways of handling promotional items like this.....when I get a promotional/review DVD, it generally just has a removable sticker on the front of the case, and/or a blank/white sticker covering the barcode. I never understood why CD's and LP's have to be mutilated with holes or such.

kriegerg69, November 20, 2007; 10:42 PM

Contribute an answer