Forum - General Questions

Question

MAURICE JARRE: SYNTHESIZER SCORES.

Hi there! I have been a user of the SoundtrackCollector website for many years, but I have only now registered and become a member. I am looking for any CD soundtracks by MAURICE JARRE - specifically any score of his which is during his synthesizer score phase. I already have quite a few of these scores, but I would like to know which other scores he has done by synthesizer, or which are a mix of synthesizer/orchestral. Here is a list of the synthesizer scores I already know JARRE has done and which are included in my collection:

AFTER DARK MY SWEET
FATAL ATTRACTION
FEARLESS
GHOST
GORILLAS IN THE MIST
THE MOSQUITO COAST
NO WAY OUT
WITNESS
THE YEAR OF LIVING DANGEROUSLY.

I also know that FIREFOX is another Jarre synthesizer score, but it is yet unreleased.

If there is anybody out there who can tell me/list which other film soundtracks are available to buy on CD by Jarre as synthesizer scores, I sure would appreciate it.

Thank you and best wishes,

Danny.

DannyBowes, April 26, 2008; 5:15 PM

Answers

Hi Danny

you can add JACOB'S LADDER to your list - a CD was released by Varese Sarabande.

It's actually interesting that you prefer the synth scores. I think that most people like it the other way more.

Me, I appreciate both kinds of scoring from Mr. Jarre.

-Dorian

42zaphod, April 26, 2008; 8:13 PM

You can add Dreamscape (1984) to your list. If I am not mistaken, I think it has the distinction of being the first soundtrack score released on CD but I am not positive. It is synth based however.

A.

akwarner, April 26, 2008; 8:24 PM

Other soundtracks you can add to your list are:

- ENEMY MINE
- APOLOGY
- GIULIA E GIULIA
- GABY: A TRUE STORY
- SHADOW OF THE WOLF (AGAGUK)

I'm more interested in his orchestral works, although I must admit that his combinations of orchestra and synthesizer sound great most of the times. Anyway, I miss him composing for the screen. He hasn't worked in the movies since 2001. Too bad...

Best regards,
Angel

angeldibujo, April 26, 2008; 9:19 PM

I like the Maurice Jarre electronic scores. I'd say my favorite of the ones I've listened to is "Apology". There's a concert CD of Jarre conducting with selections from "Witness" Can't remember the title.. I have a copy of it and will find it tomorrow. I'm sure it's listed in the database somewhere.

victoravalentine, April 27, 2008; 3:03 AM

Like father like son... no wonder!

TOKYO BLACKOUT

serifiot, April 27, 2008; 8:35 AM

workingwithknives, I believe you're refering to "Maurice Jarre at Abbey Road". It's a good CD. Personally though, I feel iffy about Jarre's electronic work. I absolutely love and adore "Jaccob's Ladder", but "Dreamscape" was just dreadful, and the only cue from "Ghost" that I liked was the wonderful "End Credits" (no annoying synths). Just my two cents.

j6524, May 1, 2008; 2:30 AM

Contribute an answer