Forum - General Questions

Question

CONAN THE BARBARIAN - TADLOW 2CD

Screen archives have just sent an email to state that this score has been re-recorded to present the complete original score from the film. A clip has been placed on youtube and it is very impressive. However, the question I am posing here, for a film in cinematic terms is not that old really are the original masters not available so that the actual score can be made available.

Some might say that this is a silly question, if elements had been available that is what they would have done. But I have seen on ebay on a number of occasions the original complete score for this film on 2CDs. Admittedly, they are bootlegs, but surely they will have a source for this music.

If there is no music available that is complete, I would suggest that you make the choice and buy this as the youtube clip is awesome.

TheSaint.786, November 2, 2010; 1:47 PM

Answers

I received a copy of a 2CD edition of CONAN THE BARBARIAN several months ago and while I never listened much to it, I just looked it up on my iTunes and found that I marked

• two tracks as "includes narration" (Prologue and Conclusion),
• one track as having "volume changes" and
• four tracks "incl. minor FX".

These seven tracks combined run 27:17 minutes. I strongly assume the "previously unreleased tracks" are taken from a DVD or laserdisc. The total running time of this edition is 1:44:20.

I also recall that Ford Thaxton repeatedly stated there were no elements to expand the VCL CD.

Urs

handstand, November 2, 2010; 3:11 PM

handstand,

What you most likely have is a boot. I highly doubt Tadlow's complete recording of the score would have sound effects.

BigT1981, November 2, 2010; 9:24 PM

I never thought anything different, BT1981. All I meant to say is that the boot obviously had no proper elements for the expansion either.

I never meant to talk about the Tadlow release.

handstand, November 3, 2010; 1:02 PM

Handstand, dont know if we are talking about the same 2CD edition, but I counted in mine 34 tracks, of which 15 are not in the expanded Varese 16tracks (the remaining two is the monologues of Mako at the beginning/end of movie and one alternate recording).
Its 108min long, and the unreleased tracks is total of 35min of music... I think its enough extra music to justificate that release (not tadlows, hehe)
Overall, I will give it a 8 / 10 points, I knew we all dream with the pristine analog tapes being found and remastered, but thats when we all go to heaven, :-P on earth we have to stick to what we have.

scorefana, November 3, 2010; 2:41 PM

Roger Feigelson wrote on Intrada's message boards that all hope is NOT lost about retrieving the original CONAN masters.
We could see an expanded release of the original recording from 1982 in the near future. That's really cool news!
(for 2012 maybe, 30th anniversary of the movie? that's pure wishing of course).

Risk is that it won't be 100% complete (Poledouris and Varèse had planned to make an ever more expanded version when they produced the 90's CD, but couldn't due to the bad shapes of the masters available at that time).

What offers the Promotheus/Tadlow rerecording is quite different as it is a premire recording of the original composition & orchestrations that the orchestra couldn't provide back in the film recording sessions days. It'll show a different aspect of the music, that is simply not a note-for-note reconstruction of what we hear in the movie.

So, for Poledouris (and great music) fans, both news are a great treat!

milio.latimer, November 5, 2010; 4:59 AM

Contribute an answer