Forum - General Questions

Question

Morricone question rephrased for clarity:

My good friend Dafydd informed me that my IL GIORNO DEL GIUDIZIO / IL RITORNO DI CLINT IL SOLITARIO question was difficult to understand. I apologize to any of my S.C. Forum friends who bothered to read my post and thought "What?" Please allow me to clarify (and hopefully simplify):
Morricone and Claudio Tallino are both credited as composers on IL GIORNO DEL GIUDIZIO (a 1971 spaghetti western). Morricone alone is credited as composer on IL RITORNO DI CLINT IL SOLITARIO (also a 1971 spaghetti western). As far as I know no music by EM has ever been released from either of these two scores, which makes me suspicious of his composer credits for these films. Maybe EM actually wrote no music for either film! Not to confuse the issue but I can't even find any solid documentation that supports Tallino's credit on IL GIORNO DEL GIUDIZIO! I very recently bought that Italian 5-CD set called ENNIO MORRICONE COMPLETE SPAGHETTI WESTERNS (Recording Arts AG 5X057) that features all cover versions by the Orchestre del Cinema Italiano. Two cues of this box set are listed as being from IL GIORNO DEL GIUDIZIO and IL RITORNO DI CLINT IL SOLITARIO. These are tracks 17 and 18 of disc 5 respectively. To my ears both of these tracks seem absolutely to be variations of Morricone's HELLBENDERS (I CRUDELI) theme. At first I thought the people who made this CD set were prone to crazy errors. But then I realized that maybe, just maybe, they were technically correct! My theory is that IL GIORNO DEL GIUDIZIO and IL RITORNO DI CLINT IL SOLITARIO may only feature music that has been lifted from I CRUDELI (explaining the box set cues) - and maybe a few other EM scores, and with perhaps even a smattering of Tallino in IL GIORNO DEL GIUDIZIO. But I'm just guessing. Anybody know for sure what the deal is with the music heard in these two films? One thing I do know is that there are Retro Euro Cult film music scholars around who know a heck of a lot more than I do - and I'm not too proud to admit it! I'm just hoping one of you highly informed fellows is reading this right now!

bipcress, March 12, 2014; 8:26 AM

Answers

BobH (EM INTERNATIONAL FORUM) and "Spectrum" (FSM) came through with the answer, and here it is:

1971 – IL GIORNO DEL GIUDIZIO
Reused Morricone music taken from I CRUDELI (1966).

1972 – IL RITORNO DI CLINT IL SOLITARIO
Reused Morricone music taken from DA UOMO A UOMO (1967), I CRUDELI (1966), VAMOS A MATAR, COMPAÑEROS (1970).

PatrickB of the EM FORUM did research for an MSV article on "wrong assignments, mistakes and reuses" and expressed some frustration over the fact that the reused music in these two films has led to mistakes being propagated in published books on film music. Authors are saying the two films have unique scores by EM. I suspect the people who produced and recorded the 5-CD set of cover versions of EM Spaghetti themes never even suspected that the two cues they reproduced and recorded are in reality from I CRUDELI! They recorded the main title from I CRUDELI on purpose, plus two more cuts from the score by accident! That is both funny and weird. But, in a way it is kind of cool. I mean if you think about it the 5-CD cover versions release now offers the only recordings of EM music actually heard in IL GIORNO DEL GIUDIZIO and IL RITORNO DI CLINT IL SOLITARIO - as actually being from those two films! I really do think they created new arrangements based on the idea that EM had written the music for those two films.

bipcress, March 12, 2014; 11:28 PM

Contribute an answer