Forum - General Questions

Question

Troy: James Horner or Gabriel Yared?

Having now seen Troy with its James Horner score (& bought the CD) and listened to excerpts from Gabriel Yareds' rejected score my impression is that someone has blundered...but who?. Given that he had only a 2 weeks to compose about 90 mins of music James Horner has done a remarkable job but it is brash and a bit bombastic whereas Gabriel Yared had the luxury of months to prepare a score and he has crafted something just as epic but much subtler. So who blundered? I blame the Sudio executives and I wonder if they'll be brave enough when it comes to releasing the DVD to have BOTH scores on it......but I doubt it, meanwhile all you people at FSM, Varese, Intrada, Silva Screen etc. how about trying to get a commercial release of Gabriel Yareds' music?

RGStovold, May 26, 2004; 12:47 PM

Answers

Well, I think that first of all Petersen didn't like the idea to hire Yared, so I guess he and the producers tried to get him out of the project. When that happened they contact Horner and he made a very good job.

I really doubt that the rejected music could be released (at least now) because Warner Bros. owns the rights.

newtonhoward, May 26, 2004; 4:56 PM

Go to gabrielyared.com
The composer himself tells all the sad story.
I'm not a big fan of Horner, but I must admit this guy knows his job. Sure he can write a full score in ten minutes, but to me film music is not a sport, it's an art.

vodka_kayou, May 26, 2004; 9:35 PM

Contribute an answer