Forum - General Questions

Question

Track order on CD scores

As I'm sure most everybody who listens to movie scores on CD has noticed, often the tracks on the CD are not in the order that the pieces are heard in the movie itself. As much as I enjoy a good movie score, I'd prefer to hear the music in the same order as I heard it in the film -- which I imagine is how the filmmakers intended it to be heard, too.

So I've decided to make my own CDs (not to sell, just for my listening enjoyment) from some of the soundtracks in my collection, putting the tracks in "film order". These are the ones I've picked out so far (I'll probably do some more once I finish these):

"Field of Dreams", composed by James Horner;
"The Fugitive" (Harrison Ford, 1993), composed by James Newton Howard;
"The Green Mile" and "The Shawshank Redemption", both by Thomas Newman;
"Jurassic Park" and "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade", John Williams (of course!); and
"The Untouchables" (Kevin Costner, 1987), composed by Ennio Morricone.

It should be pretty easy to find the right order for most of them, and one or two are only slightly out of order; but of course, sometimes music in a score sounds similar to other pieces. I thought I had “Shawshank” done, going mostly by the names of the tracks; but when I listened to the CD I had made, I realized that a couple of the tracks were still out of order.

To get those few tracks I’m still unsure of, I may have to put each movie in the DVD player, with the soundtrack ready in the CD player, and skip ahead to the corresponding part of the movie to try to match up the music. But to save me the time, I was hoping that someone might have already done this for some (or all) of the CDs I’ve listed. And maybe they’d be kind enough to post the information for me, or anyone else that might want to do the same thing. I know it seems like a lot of trouble for just an hour or so worth of music (depending on the CD), but it’s just something I’d like to do.

Hopefully someone will be able to help me...and I hope all this doesn’t make me sound like an idiot! (Maybe just someone with waaaay too much time on their hands...?) Thanks in advance for anyone’s help...

amoore.va, November 11, 2004; 12:09 AM

Answers

You make me think to a friend of mine ! He listens the soundtracks in the same order, like in the movie.
The best way is to watch again and again the movie !

, November 11, 2004; 5:20 PM

Yeah, that's one way to do it; but skipping to the right parts of the movie works too...

But it doesn’t look like anyone else can help with this, at least not so far. Well, that’s okay; I knocked out two of them myself today. I finally got “Shawshank” right, and I also did “The Untouchables”. So to help out anyone else that might decide to do this, I’ll post my results (the number before each track is the ORIGINAL number from the CD):

“The Shawshank Redemption”:
6) If I Didn’t Care (The Ink Spots)
2) Shawshank Prison (Stoic Theme)
3) New Fish
4) Rock Hammer
14) Sisters
1) May
9) Suds on the Roof
5) An Inch of His Life
10) Workfield
7) Brooks Was Here
16) The Marriage of Figaro: Duetto-Sul Aria (Deutsche Opera Berlin)
12) Lovesick Blues (Hank Williams)
17) Lovely Raquel
13) Elmo Blatch
15) Zihuatanejo
18) And That Right Soon
11) Shawshank Redemption
8) His Judgment Cometh
19) Compass and Guns
20) So Was Red
21) End Title

“The Untouchables”:
8) The Strength of the Righteous (Main Title)
10) False Alarm
2) Al Capone
6) Victorious
3) Waiting at the Border
11) The Untouchables
9) Ness and His Family
12) Four Friends
7) The Man with the Matches
13) Machine Gun Lullaby
5) On the Rooftops
4) Death Theme
1) The Untouchables (End Title)

I’ll keep working on it; maybe this will inspire someone else to do the same with the ones I haven’t done yet...

amoore.va, November 12, 2004; 12:39 AM

I think that having the option of listening to the music either way - CD release and in the movie order - is good. There's the "good listening experience" that the CD represents plus the chronological order of the music so that it is possible to hear how a theme, for example, develops throughout the score.

Anyway, I think that I can help with a couple of your list:

THE UNTOUCHABLES

08. The Strength Of The Righteous (Main Title)
09. Ness and His Family
10. False Alarm
02. Al Capone
06. Victorious
03. Waiting At The Border
11. The Untouchables
07. The Man With The Matches
12. Four Friends
13. Machine Gun Lullaby
05. On The Rooftops
04. Death Theme
01. The Untouchables (End Title)

INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE

01. Indy's Very First Adventure
02. X Marks the Spot
04. Ah, Rats!!!
05. Escape From Venice
03. Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra
06. No Ticket
08. Keeping up with the Joneses
09. Brother of the Cruciform Sword
10. Belly of the Steel Beast
11. The Canyon of the Crescent Moon
12. The Penitent Man Will Pass
07. The Keeper of the Grail
13. End Credits (Raider's March)

I hope that these are in the correct order! I'd appreciate it if anyone who knows differently could let me know.

alan, November 12, 2004; 12:53 AM

I posted my comments before I saw your UNTOUCHABLES list - if you've sat through the movie it would seem that my list for this movie may be a bit out?

alan, November 12, 2004; 12:55 AM

Wow, thanks! I didn't think anyone else was paying attention to my posts...hehe...Yeah, today I actually watched the Special Edition DVD of "The Untouchables" that I had bought recently. I had the soundtrack handy while I was watching, and I thought I got the order right; but as I saw in your ordering, you had "Ness and His Family" much earlier than I did. I actually wasn't entirely sure about that one, but the place I heard it in the movie was, as far as I could tell, the closest to the CD track. So that's why I put it where I did.

Also, you had "The Man With The Matches" and "Four Friends" in the reverse order I did. "FF" begins right before, or just as, Wallace is shot in the elevator, and the piece plays to its conclusion. Then later, the scene where Malone is killed in his apartment is where "TMwTM" appears. I guess that can be kind of another tough call; as I mentioned before, tracks in movie scores can sound very similar sometimes.

But thanks so much for the "Last Crusade" list, too! That saves me the trouble of doing that one myself (but then again, it's a good excuse to watch the movie...!). I do have the CD score for "Raiders" that was reissued in '98 or '99, I think, that was more complete (and in order!) than previous releases. One of my favorite scores...

Anyway, thank you again for your help; maybe someone else will post their findings!

amoore.va, November 12, 2004; 1:19 AM

If I keep this up, I won't need anyone else's help...! I did "Field of Dreams" today, and here is what I came up with (the tracks with the * before them weren't on the original soundtrack, but they were in the movie, in case anyone wants to make their own CD):

1) The Cornfield
*Crazy (Beverly D'Angelo) [Heard when Ray is at the store asking another old farmer if he's ever heard voices.]
10) Night Mists [I actually wasn't entirely sure about this one, but it was the only logical place for it, and the closest to the music heard in the part of the movie; when Ray is in the field and hears the voice for the second time, and then sees the baseball field and Shoeless Joe.]
*Daydream (The Lovin' Spoonful) [Heard when Ray and Annie are eating dinner and discussing building the field.]
2) Deciding To Build The Field
3) Shoeless Joe
5) Old Ball Players
8) The Library
*Jessica (The Allman Brothers Band) [When Ray heads to Boston to find Terence Mann.]
9) "Moonlight" Graham
*China Grove (The Doobie Brothers) [When Ray and Terence leave Boston to go to Minnesota.]
*Lotus Blossom (Duke Ellington) [In the background of the bar when Terence is asking the old men about Doc Graham.]
4) The Timeless Street
6) The Drive Home
11) Doc's Memories
12) The Place Where Dreams Come True
7) Field of Dreams
13) End Credits

So there we go...I hope to get a couple more done this weekend, unless someone else besides alan answers the call, so to speak, and posts something...!

amoore.va, November 12, 2004; 11:48 PM

I'm not sure about THE FUGITIVE but here's what I have:

01. Main Title
(03. Kimble Dyes His Hair) - this is longer on the CD than in the film so may be several cues edited together?
04. Helicopter Chase
02. The Storm Drain
(03. Kimble Dyes His Hair) - there may be a portion of this cue here
07. Kimble Returns - this may go here if it's Kimble going back to the hospital after his disguise has been applied
09. Stairway Chase
10. Skyke's Apartment
06. Subway Fight
11. ";It's Over"
05. "The Fugitive Theme" - I think that this may be a concert piece

And I've no idea where 08. "No Press" goes.

Not as thorough as before, but I hope this helps!

alan, November 13, 2004; 3:18 AM

Help with track order on Thirteen Days

Hello. I would like help ordering the score of Thirteen Days.

professortom, November 2, 2006; 10:06 AM

Contribute an answer