Forum - General Questions

Question

"Chinatown" soundtrack on ebay.

Why is the Goldsmith "Chinatown" soundtrack CD (Varese Sarabande) so expen$ive on ebay (between $100.00 - $200.00)? It was just in print not so long ago (I have 3 copies). Are there any other soundtrack CDs that are in that price range?

filmfactsman

filmfactsman, December 24, 2004; 11:04 PM

Answers

MANY!

baalgehenna, December 25, 2004; 4:14 AM

Believe it or not, an original copy of the "Chinatown" soundtrack CD (on Varese Sarabande) is still in circulation at a local public library near my house, and it is in surprisingly good condition for a library-owned CD. In fact, it hardly ever gets checked out. It just sits on the shelf, collecting dust. Of course, I already own an original copy of the CD, or else I would periodically be checking it out from the library myself! If they only knew...

P.S. I sold a rare original copy of the Superman II/III CD for $250.00 a few months ago. Not bragging, just giving you an idea of how expensive this hobby can be. I mean damn, someone on eBay paid almost $1000.00 for the 2-CD Airwolf soundtrack a short while back! Now THAT'S crazy IMO. Especially considering the fact that Intrada.com advertised a sealed copy for sale on their "one of a kind" page about a year ago for only $75, and I passed it up. Doh! I did, however, get a sealed 'Young Sherlock Holmes' set from Intrada for only $50, which I turned around and sold for $150 a few months later. So, to answer your question, yes...there are many CDs that are worth over $100. Even some Japanese video game soundtracks sell in the $200-$300 range!

American_Nightmare, December 26, 2004; 5:35 AM

Maybe cause it's awesome. Since you have 3 can I buy one of your copies?

mishacalvert, December 3, 2007; 5:42 PM

Contribute an answer