Forum - General Questions

Question

soundtrack library archival cds...please help

hello, i would like to know whether original scores listed as "soundtrack library archival pressings" are they real or fake? I mean are these factory pressed cds or bootlegs? I came across a few before and all of them look "bluish" on the playing side. looks a bit like a CDR or something like that.

would appreciate anyone who has some experience in this area. Thanks!

matngkl, January 30, 2006; 9:25 PM

Answers

bootegs, copies..............pretty much all of em, always refer to this site if unsure in future..................................

anthonynputson, January 30, 2006; 11:30 PM

In my experience, the term "archival" almost always refers to a CD-R bootleg, as is the case with ALL of the Soundtrack Library releases.

American.Nightmare, January 30, 2006; 11:33 PM

Still too young and unaware, I bought, a couple years ago, an "archival" pressing of the The Swarm soundtrack from a record dealer in NY.
REALLY bad sound + cheap cover + no credits = Bootfuckinleg!

vodka_kayou, January 31, 2006; 1:42 AM

Absolutely ALL soundtrack library titles are CDR boots.

ALL of them with very badly copied booklet (or one page insert) and inlays

MOST of them with no track titles

SOME of them with bad sound

FEW of them (but there are) with brilliant sound quality (i.e. Pitch Black - Graeme Revell 2CDR complete)

Hope it helps.

Burnie

blinddoc, January 31, 2006; 2:02 AM

What about International Records releases? I mean such titles like complete Night Games, Masquerade/My Sister's Keeper and Hammett/Betsy/Mary Queen of Scotts.
Can anyone say something about these releases? Are there cd-rs or factory pressed cds? Is there any booklet?

ohmss, January 31, 2006; 1:39 PM

ohmss,
the international records CDs are all CDRs, it's a fanmade label. Booklets are poor but the sound quality of almost all scores is great.

1701, January 31, 2006; 7:37 PM

Without prejudice, two CD-Rs in this series have OUTSTANDING sound quality: AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS (Victor Young) has more tracks and absolutely STUNNING sound, blows the MCA issue out of the water; and INSIDE DAISY CLOVER/DEAD RINGER by Andre Previn. I've compared the sound to my LPs and in my opinion they are mastered from the original tapes (somehow).

powley, February 1, 2006; 12:19 AM

Contribute an answer