Forum - Looking for a soundtrack

Question

"The Shining" Soundtrack Special Edition CD

I can not find this extended CD with 23 tracks for sale. I have found the vinyl record which includes 8 song tracks.
Does anyone know how I can purchse this CD?
Thanking you in advance.
David

dapinelli, August 20, 2006; 12:09 AM

Answers

Hello,

Are you talking about the cd that has 22 tracks from the "shining" and also contains music from other films?

Best Regards,
David Phoenix, AZ.

deg63iami, August 20, 2006; 3:59 AM

The Wendy Carlos version and the others I've seen do not have the 3 or 4 big band songs as the following one has. Towards the middle and at the bottom of the below URL, you will find this discussion thread. I did a google search for "the shining special edition cd" and it took me to emptyfree.com and the following url.

http://www.emptyfree.com/index.php?p=28&c=1

I had found a discussion thread earlier today on the Sound Track Collector site from someone who had pictures of this "special edition" CD, artwork and track titles. It lead you to the above URL. For some reason, I can't find the discussion thread about this "Special Edition Shining CD" at the Sound Track Collector site.

I'm lost. Maybe it was some guy selling something he created in limited quantities. What attracted me to it was that it was more complete than the vinyl (which only had 8 tracks) or the Carlos version, which left out a lot of the original score, such as the band music. The big band music featured prominently in the movie when Nicholson was in the "Gold Room", talking to the Maitre d'.

Do you have any thoughts or ideas on how to track this down. I feel like I'm chasing a phantom!

thanks

David

PS It does seem that only Davids' are interested! :)

dapinelli, August 20, 2006; 5:44 AM

Hi David,

There's only three official releases of "The Shining" material.

One is the Warner album (vinyl only) and the other two are "Rediscovering Lost Scores Vol. 1 and Vol. 2" on CD only.

The Wendy Carlos tracks on the original vinyl album are versions as they appeared in the film and both these versions are not on the "Rediscovering..." CDs (copyright issues). The version of "Rocky Mountains" on the CD is shorter and the "Main Title" on the CD features more instrumentation than the original one.

The rest of the music (Ligeti, Penderecki, Bartok etc. etc.) can be found partly on the vinyl version or on several other releases. So if you want a "complete" score, you'll have to buy quite a bit of various works...

ALL OTHER releases of the Shining soundtrack on CD are home-made, mostly cheaply-made CDRs of doubtable quality. I would recommend not to buy any of these (so-called "special edition") CDs. You're better off buying the vinyl relase and the 2 Wendy Carlos CDs and scratching together the remainder of the tracks and so generating your own "special edition" score :-)

Best,
Burnie

blinddoc, August 20, 2006; 6:21 PM

I agree with Burnie and the others. I will have to buy a number of CD's to get the complete soundtrack and most of the songs are currently available. However, I could use help in finding (though I haven't tried Limewire), the following 3 songs from the movie, as per IMDB.com: (1) "Masquerade", Performed by Jack Hilton and his Orchestra. (2) "Home", Performed by Henry Hall & the Gleneagles Hotel Band. (3)"It's All Forgotten Now" Performed by Ray Noble Orchestra with Al Bowlly. If anyone has any suggestions, I would welcome them most gladly.
regards,
David

dapinelli, August 20, 2006; 9:59 PM

The Shining- Complete Motion Picture Score

Anyone Looking for a complete "Score" to the Shining. You need to look for The Shining-
Complete Motion Picture Score. 25th Anniversary Edition - Wendy Carlos- Overlook
Productions. It contains 2 Disc. Disc-1 contains 40 pieces, with a few of them actually
getting into the movie. Disc-2 contains 15 pieces, including ALL of the "older" music. Some
of these pieces you only hear a small portion of in the movie, when actually they are much
longer. I paid $140.00 with s/h for this collection from Germany a number of years ago.
Now I know I paid alot, but to me it was worth it! These pieces from the Film have brought
me great pleasure. Also, no more looking for all those individual songs/bootlegs, disc that
some have made with dialog from the movie dubbed over the music etc. The quality is
Great!. Some places I have found selling it state- MUST BE ORDERED/IMPORT, and much
less than I paid. I hope this helps some fellow soundtrack/score collectors, since I believe in
helping others whom share the same passion.

iamjafo5, March 20, 2018; 7:04 AM

Contribute an answer