Forum - General Questions

Question

Hole Punch in Barcode

I was wondering, how many of you besides myself do NOT
care if there is a hole punched in the liner. I care more about
getting the music I want w/a cd free of marks and scratches. What about you. I also find it amazing that cds command more money w/out the hole.

dspin24358, November 2, 2006; 5:16 AM

Answers

i don't seem to care either,but if i have to pay full price for something like that..no way.

j.w.schenk, November 2, 2006; 7:29 AM

ill pay regardless of hole or not......

anthonynputson, November 2, 2006; 7:49 AM

LOL
this is sick xD

1701, November 2, 2006; 9:58 AM

As long as I am paying a discounted price...I'll pay 1 to 9 dollars for titles where the UPC is punched. What I will not purchase are titles with either a promo stamp or sticker on the cover of the artwork. The cover is what I see when it is playing so I don't want my cover damaged.

Big Screen Records used to whole punch the front cover. Back in the 80's record companies would cut the corner of the cover like they did in the LP days. Only problem was that if the cover folded out it was like a paper doll and you'd not be able to read the liner notes.

There are ones where they cut the side binding with a saw which (usually) damages only the side, and if they aren't to rigorous, the damage is only to the jewel box not the artwork. I've actually seen cut bindings where they literally went into the cover, and near the CD!

hammon, November 2, 2006; 11:55 AM

... NO thank you!

I despise my brand new and sealed cd's to have sawcuts, punch or drill holes and I avoid purchasing such items.

I always ask the internet retailer about promotional markings before I purchase or place a bid on eBay.

I believe this is only an American thing of mutulating discounted cd's and I'm assuming one of the reasons it is done is to supposedly devalue the product so as to not have it resold at full value by the buyer... yeah right!

Almost under no exception and under rare circumstances I will purchase used cd's as well unless they are in mint/like new/looks unplayed condition.

There are a few other idiosyncrasies which are related to my listening and collecting music that change with time you really don't want to know.

As far as mutulation of cd's, I rather see a perfectly round punch hole through the barcode instead of a a drill hole or sawcut through the binding with a damaged insert.

Yes, I do understand these are neurotic issues which I am very well aware of and which perhaps one day I will overlook but for now I'm in total bliss!...

Thank you very much!!

:- x

serifiot, November 2, 2006; 12:45 PM

Whether a CD back cover has a punched barcode or not is completely irrelevant to me as long as it is significantly discounted.

handstand, November 2, 2006; 1:34 PM

I don't care, if the cover art is damaged through it then i would care, but only the bar code...that's alright with me.

philkws, November 2, 2006; 1:52 PM

Egads! It's the MUSIC that counts! I prefer to have the liner notes, yet I have a few discs that came without a back liner for unknown reasons, and I don't care about a punch hole. Why does anyone who cares about the music give a damn about a hole in the barcode (which merely means the original was given away as a promo copy, not that there is any defect)? This is like someone who likes sowing those wild oats, yet insists on marrying a virgin.

betenoir, November 4, 2006; 10:50 PM

Of course it's about the music first and foremost but I also like virgins as well!...

:- x

serifiot, November 5, 2006; 6:28 AM

I don't make a practice of buying hole punched barcodes. They are that way for a reason
after all.

aprilwhitt, November 16, 2006; 7:27 PM

Contribute an answer