Forum - General Questions

Question

Richard Band--this guy is fantastic!

Seriously, I've never heard so many consistantly excellent scores from one single composer, even the big 'name' composers like Williams or Zimmer don't write music as good as this guy can. He gave lots of low-budget films, most of which were quite terrible, beautiful, lush, fully symphonic musical identities.His score for "Mutant", "Troll", "From Beyond", "The House on Sorority Row", "The Alchemist", among others are all on my top list of fav. scores, and I think his work on "The Day Time Ended", while disappointingly not available on CD, is a sci-fi score comparable to 2001: A Space Oddessy.
Please, someone get this man working again. He's too gifted not to be a name composer. The only composer today who understands how to score horror films so perfectly is Bennett Salvay, who wowed me w/ his excellent score for "Jeepers Creepers" and "Peaceful Warrior".

j6524, March 5, 2007; 10:41 PM

Answers

I do also really enjoy his music and the man himself is really nice too!

Feel free to drop him an email... you can find his contact on his website:
http://www.richardbandmusic.com/

Cheers! :-)

davegaumann, March 6, 2007; 7:24 AM

And don't forget his excellent score for "Puppet Master I & II" and the score for "Re-Animator". Richard band truly is great and i think he's one of the most important and one of the best synth composers of the 80s and 90s.

philkws, March 6, 2007; 9:18 AM

I also enjoy Richard Band's music. In fact, I've been waiting for years to see released on CD the score he co-composed with Joel Goldsmith for DR. HECKYL AND MR. HYPE in 1980. I've suggested it to every soundtrack label and even to Mr. Band himself..., but I'm afraid the movie is too little, obscure and unknown (and yes, it's also rather bad), that a soundtrack release is not very probable. For those of you who haven't seen the picture, try to get it. The music is really wonderful. If BSX released LASERBLAST, why not DR. HECKYL AND MR. HYPE? Believe me, the music is far superior to that of the Michael Rae's movie.

angeldibujo, March 6, 2007; 11:21 AM

The Pit & the Pendulum is great, he should be known for his work.

happyevil666, March 6, 2007; 12:14 PM

Wow, glad to see so many people enjoy his work. I haven't heard "Pit and the Pendelum" but I read a really good review of the album some time back; I need to try harder to find that one I guess.

j6524, March 6, 2007; 4:41 PM

Yep, The Pit & The Pendulum is one of my favourites, too! Try to dig for this one (it's really not easy to find!)

davegaumann, March 6, 2007; 5:08 PM

Everyone who wants it can find THE PIT & THE PENDULUM for a very reasonable price at Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Pit-Pendulum-Original-Soundtrack/dp/B000008JGT/ref=sr_1_1/102-8867740-4276131?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1173216213&sr=1-1

It's rather good, but not one of my favourites. I prefer THE HOUSE ON SORORITY ROW or THE ALCHEMIST, and of course my beloved DR. HECKYL AND MR. HYPE... By the way, has anybody got an opinion on this soundtrack? I'd like to know if there is someone else who likes it :)

Greetings,
Angel

angeldibujo, March 6, 2007; 5:33 PM

angeldibujo,
thanks for the tip on P&TP. Just bought it. And I'll check out this Mr. Hype movie--I just checked IMDB, now you have me intrigued. I'll get back to you one of these days, I promise.

j6524, March 6, 2007; 9:51 PM

I didn't check on Amazon for THE PIT... so, 'guess it's not that hard to find! :-)

By the way, J6524, I also love Salvay's Jeepers Creppers score! :-)... but never heard of "Peaceful Warrior"... do you know where I could get a copy of this one? Through Lakeshore records? Thanks.

One more thing for you: if you order your CDs directly from Richard Band's website, you'll get them signed! Nice deal! ;-)

Dave

davegaumann, March 7, 2007; 7:23 AM

I'm glad someone else enjoys JC as well. No, Peaceful Warrior was never released--not the score, anyways. This is a shame, as Salvay is a hugely talented composer. "Jeepers Creepers" and David Julyan's score for "The Descent" are amongst the very few post-2000 horror scores I really love.

j6524, March 14, 2007; 4:25 PM

Sorry to update an oldish thread, but I'm excited to report that, according to Mr. Band himself, Intrada is set to release "Metalstorm" (sp?) and "The Day Time Ended" within the next few months. I'm very excited about this! Finally get to hear "Day TIme Ended" outside of my beat up VHS copy!

j6524, June 7, 2007; 1:32 AM

Contribute an answer