Forum - General Questions

Question

Tony Curtis (1925-2010)

Just read on Yahoo news that actor Tony Curtis has died at age 85.

victoravalentine, September 30, 2010; 1:38 PM

Answers

Some Like It Hot, the true classic comedy masterpiece. Boeing Boeing, Don't Make Waves, The Persuaders and of course many more. A smart modern Casanova, I guess most women love(d) him. I remember havin been kinda jealous the first time I saw Some Like It Hot as a child, the easy way he was able to make MM kissing him. Later I laughed a lot reading his quote that kissing her felt like havin a sponge in his face. Anyway.

RIP, Tony.

mister_gs, September 30, 2010; 4:10 PM

Sad news indeed... Some hours ago I've been shocked when, after playing a brief fragment of Alex North's main title from SPARTACUS on the radio, the newsreader has said that Tony Curtis had passed away.
Strange feelings happen when one of these stars, with whom one has lived in the movies since childhood, die. They are always young in the screen. They seem not to get older. They seem immortal. But one day you know about their death...

Rest in peace.

angeldibujo, September 30, 2010; 4:19 PM

Watched "Sex And The Single Girl" a couple of weeks ago. What a crazy, hillarious film. The scene when he's sitting alone at the pier and a homeless guy walks up and asks for a cigarette, he tells him to "Shove off!" The homeless guy says, "I'm a bum, you're supposed to treat me nice".

Recently he and his wife were involved in finding homes for retired race horses in order to save them from being slaughtered.

Rest in peace, Tony Curtis.

victoravalentine, October 1, 2010; 5:43 PM

I agree with Angel on this. These are the fellas I grew up and are in some of my favourite films which inclulde Spartacus. Burt Lancaster, Yul Brynner, Charles Bronson, James Coburn et al. The last of these greats is Kirk Douglas. An end of an era. I liked Tony Curtis a lot and I felt vacant when I heard the news by chance. It's inevitable but still nothing prepares you for it.

Thanks for the memories.

TheSaint.786, October 1, 2010; 11:43 AM

I met the guy once in I think 1996. I was visiting my brother in Vancouver
nd we took a trip up to Whistler. He had an exhiition of his paintings on view there (he was an excellent artist as well). He asked if I was there to buy or just browse. I couldn't afford anything but he was gracious enough to give me his autograph which has sadly disappeared in the intervening years. He was very friendly and charming, a gentleman.

RGStovold, October 20, 2010; 8:04 AM

Contribute an answer