Forum - General Questions

Question

Soundtrack stores in San Francisco?

Got a week or so in Berkeley... can anyone suggest the best soundtrack stores (for CDs) to check out? Currently my list is

1. Amoeba (Haight-Ashbury)
2. Intrada (Oakland)

(whether or not I actually get there). Enlighten me!

Manyon

manyon, October 6, 2010; 1:45 AM

Answers

Other than Intrada - there aren't any 'soundtrack' stores. Technically Intrada isn't a store - it's an office. It's in the Oakland Hills.

BUT used CD/DVD stores there are a couple. In Berkeley, there is Amoeba and Rasputins (which is a block away from Amoeba).

You listed Amoeba in San Francisco. There is also Streetlight which is on Market Street as well as another Rasputins.

There are a few other Rasputins around in the SF Bay Area - San Lorenzo and Concord.

I haunt all these stores on a regular basis because you never know what will show up on any given day.

Best prices - Rasputins
Best selection - Amoeba
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A new Varese CD at Rasputins = $12.99/$13.99
A new Varese CD at Amobea = $14.99/$15.99

Rasputins centralizes it's sales of used items. The stores all purchase used items and then they are taken into Berkeley where they are distributed to all the stores. The soundtrack selections (in each store) are not that big. Amoeba sells the items they acquire in each store. The Berkeley Amoeba is right next to UC Berkeley. Their SF store is several blocks from Haight/Ashbury.

hammon, October 6, 2010; 10:30 AM

I used to go to Tower whenever in San Francisco. Gone now. Place had a nice selection of film music and a nice selection of free improvisation recordings.

victoravalentine, October 8, 2010; 2:13 AM

CD shops in Berkeley

Hey Manyon,

I'm out there every week. Amoeba on Telegraph Ave. is your best bet, There's a Rasputin's
Records store a block away. Sometimes you can find a few gems at the Half-Price bookstore on
Shattuck Ave. in downtown Berkeley. Happy hunting. :)

riotengine, October 8, 2010; 6:01 AM

Thanks for all the tips! I didn't realise Amoeba had more stores, and Rasputins sounds promising too (I don't mind the odd non-soundtrack either). I shall endeavour to make a report when I get back.

[From Intrada's About page I got the impression that they did have a walk-in shop: "Intrada is a retail store specializing in soundtrack sales through mail order. ..., the store was relocated to its current location in Oakland." Until I read it again and noticed the THROUGH MAIL ORDER bit. Oops.]

Now, to find transport to or a hotel in Mountain View for the Bridge School Benefit...

manyon, October 8, 2010; 9:03 AM

Hi Manyon,

I used to live a short distance from Intrada (in Montclair) and would occasionally call them,
ever so politely, and ask if it was okay to just come by to make my purchases (to save on
shipping).

They don't have a problem with that as long as you *call first* and make sure it's all right to
drop in.

They moved to a new location in Montclair a while back.

Greg Espinoza

riotengine, October 9, 2010; 3:48 AM

Okay, an update.

I've been to both Amoeba stores and both Rasputin stores (each Berkeley and SF), as
well as Medium Rare Music and Streetlight Music (both in Castro). In order of visit:

Rasputin, Berkeley -- their clearance section of soundtracks was not bad. Score
purchases: 6. Highlight: Star Wars Episode 1 Ultimate Edition.
Amoeba, Berkeley -- good range of used and clearance soundtracks, some rarities (to
me). Score purchases: 10. Highlights: Hellbound-Hellraiser II; The Postman.
Rasputin, SF -- not much here, hardly any used. Score purchases: 1. Highlights: the
'rock' clearance section.
Amoeba, SF -- pick of the crop. Biggest range of soundtracks, many used, many very
cheap. Score purchases: 8. Highlights: The Hurt Locker FYC (52 min!); Where the Wild
Things Are FYC (Carter Burwell's score, not the songs!).
Medium Rare Music, Castro -- this place is shutting down at the end of the week. Get
those show tunes while you can. Score purchases: 1. Hightlights: none.
Streetlight Records, Castro -- small soundtrack section, and the used CDs are hiding
under the bench. Other categories of music were better. Score purchases: 2.
Highlights: none.

Summary: don't bother with Castro, Amoeba on Haight is not to be missed, with
Amoeba Berkeley second, followed by Rasputin Berkeley and then Rasputin SF. Oh,
and Half Price Books in Berkeley didn't really have any scores, just "song" soundtracks.

Thanks for your suggestions, everyone. Glad to be returning home with at least a few
gems :)

Manyon

manyon, October 26, 2010; 3:34 AM

Contribute an answer