Forum - General Questions

Question

Universal Vaults open

At long last Universal has opened its vaults and we are reaping the rewards with some brilliant new soundtracks. We've had 'Lonely Are The Brave', 'Freud' and 'A Gathering of Eagles' c and of course 'Spartacus' on Varese and from Intrada we're going to get 'Tobruk' (Kaper) and 'The War Wagon' (Tiomkin). So what will be next? I hope that at last we'll get the complete 'The War Lord' (Morross) and 'Airport' (Newman). Has anybody else got some favourites the should at last see the light of day

RGStovold, October 14, 2010; 9:43 AM

Answers

THE CAR by Leonard Rosenman would be a dream come true for me.

angeldibujo, October 14, 2010; 8:26 PM

The 1955 Universal International film "Foxfire starring Jane Russell and Jeff Chandler, scored by Frank Skinner.

The 1953 Universal International film "East Of Sumatra", starring Jeff Chandler and Anthony Quinn, scored by an uncredited Henry Mancini.

These are just two.

I love the way the Universal International globe evolved over the years. From the early 30's into the 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's, it was always changing. The same basic idea of using a globe of the earth as the UI logo but reinventing it as the decades wore on.

victoravalentine, October 16, 2010; 8:47 PM

Yes! I'd love the see these soundtracks released!:

FAMILY PLOT (John Williams) 1976
AIRPORT 77 (John Cacavas) 1977
THE CONCORDE - AIRPORT 80 (Lalo Schifrin), 1979

Universal, keep digging and make it possible!

salinder, October 16, 2010; 12:06 PM

Working with Knives response reminds me that Frank Skinner and Roy Webb and Hans J Salter are the unsung heroes of Universal Studios and that. many of Universals films were released without a composer credit during the 1950's and 60's. So perhaps now we may get some redress on those neglected scores

RGStovold, October 16, 2010; 3:17 PM

(RGStovold) Can't forget Herman Stein.

Henry Mancini writes a bit about his Universal International days in his book, "Did They Mention The Music?"

victoravalentine, October 17, 2010; 6:58 PM

Contribute an answer