Forum - General Questions

Question

DESTRUCTION OF FILM MUSIC

Dear fellow collectors and connoisseurs of film music, I would like to make a very important request. Could individuals step forward who can read and write Italian (and perhaps French, Spanish, German, Japanese) in order to translate the paragraph below into Italian (and the other languages suggested). I then think it would be appropriate if all concerned take it upon themselves to post this paragraph (in English or other) all over the internet (blogs, facebook, fan sites, twitter, discussion boards and so on). Thank you for all your help and participation. Helping out with this certainly proves your love of the art form. – John Bender

below - the paragraph:

"There have come disturbing reports from professionals within the relatively small world of soundtrack CD production of the destruction of master tape recordings of Italian film scores from the Silver Age (1960 -1980). This destruction of irreplaceable recordings is (supposedly) occurring at the facilities of RCA Italiana located in Rome. If these reports are true (and firm confirmation has yet to be obtained) the actions are, in a strictly cultural sense, criminal. All such master tape materials are invaluable and representative of the marvelous cinematic cultural heritage of Italy. Italy has been blessed with a great number of the world's finest composers of music for cinema, not just Ennio Morricone but dozens, maybe hundreds, of other talented artists have produced glorious music for literally thousands of movies over the past several decades. The destruction of these artifacts is truly a crime enacted against all future generations who are, in effect, being robbed of their chance to assimilate and appreciate a glorious chapter in the history of Western culture. We all must do everything in our power to A) confirm these reports, and B) put a stop to the destruction. Please use the internet to help in any way you may believe to be of potential value. - John Bender, moderator of The European Film Score Society (Pittsburgh USA - 11/08/12)"

bipcress, November 8, 2010; 10:39 PM

Answers

John:

I have no direct facts on this event; however, I read a similar paragraph about the destruction of these tapes from the silver age of Italian cinema. The shorthand version revealed that, back in the 80s, Italian music publishers could not find anyone who wanted to purchase these soundtrack recordings. Frustrated by this, the publishers simply burned the tapes, figuring they were worthless. Thanks to the Internet, there was a renewed interest in soundtrack recordings, especially those from Italy. Thus, publishers, realizing they could finally make some money, stopped the burning--so to speak.

The paragraph did not specifically mention the number lost; however, it implied that many were ultimately destroyed. I doubt this practice occurs now. In addition, I doubt RCA was the only one destroying tapes. From what I understand, this all occurred in the past.

Perhaps a confirmation from an Italian music publisher on this would ease the worry created by this paragraph. I'm sure Digitmovies would know about this more than anyone since Italian score preservation is their purpose statement. Maybe you can shoot them an email. As a matter of fact, I think their latest batch has some recordings from the RCA vaults.

If I find the paragraph I read, I will post it here. I hope that this does and will not happen still.
Best,
Jeremy

Jmicpilars, November 9, 2010; 1:56 AM

According to Digitmovies, it seems that the RCA masters are safe, so the reports quoted by John Bender would be groundless.

lu.cald, November 9, 2010; 12:03 PM

To all concerned of The Soundtrack Collector forum, here is an update (copied and pasted from a fresh posting at The European Film Score Society):

OK gang, here is what we have as of now as regards the "RCA Italiana affair". First, as this is the root of the firestorm, let me repeat the recent correspondence between James Goldpanner and Lionel Woodman (edited for grammar but not content):

James: "Hi Lionel See your new releases are up. Can you give me any details about LA BELLISSIMA ESTATE? Have never heard of the composer Alberto Pomeranz and see that Edda is featured. Is she just featured on one or two tracks?"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lionel: "It's a superb score. I did it because the tapes were about to be destroyed by RCA Italy and only just saved it by a couple of hours. Edda is featured on many tracks."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
James: "Wow, that's crazy! Hope they did not destroy anything else."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lionel: "Yes, apparently they have destroyed many!"
James: "Sorry for this bad news. Glad to have helped by buying CDs from the labels doing retro Euro-cult. If it were not for them I'm sure a lot more would have gotten lost or thrown out over the years."

Next I wrote Lukas Kendall and asked if he could please contact Claudio in that they have been working together of late, and if anybody should know anything about this it would be Claudio. Kindly Lukas did write Claudio. Here is that correspondence:

"Dear Claudio
John Bender saw this in a discussion group:
-On 11/5/2010 6:37 PM, james.goldpanner@btopenworld.com wrote:
Was asking Lionel about this score some time ago in an email and he
told me he just got there in time RCA in Italy was dumping tapes or
something think they may even have been burning them.
James-
do you know anything
about RCA in Italy
throwing out tapes???
Lukas"

"Dear Lukas
that's a huge bullshit!
The tapes are ALL here and I keep for my open eye on them.
I have a here the complete Master data base (both LPs and sessions)!
I am still issuing CDs from RCA catalog.
Claudio"

Next I got (not surprisingly) an excited email from Claudio, which reads:

"Hello John,
WHO did put around this HUGE BULLSHIT about the destruction of the Master
tapes of RCA Archives ?!?
They are ALL in Rome.
Frequently I visit the vaults.
Its absurd this true act of psychological terrorism powered with absurd
and evil lies!!!
I kindly request a reply from you.
Now I really am bored about all this underworld of gossip and false news!
Ciao!
Claudio"

And this was my response to Claudio:

"Claudio, first let me say I am extremely relieved to hear this from you. Thank you for speaking up. As for being bored, I can relate, but I certainly was not "bored" when I read the conversation between James Goldpanner and Lionel Woodman! I am not on the inside like you, which means that whenever I encounter horrible possibilities like this I have little choice but to err on the side of caution (or "err on the side of the music" if you will). If someone called me on the phone and said a house full of Italian master tapes was on fire two blocks from my house I wouldn't stop to think about it, I would drop the phone and run down the street with a bucket of water, and this is exactly how I responded to the report from Lionel. The thing that really concerned me about this particular "report" was that it came from Woodman. He is a professional and has been producing Silver Age Italian film music CDs (with Professor Zamori) for many years, so of course I am inclined to listen when he talks. At this point in time I now choose to believe you (thank God). Woodman is a professional, but no one is more "inside" than you. As to what this all means I have no frigging idea. Is someone here lying or insane? If this was a lie I see no point to it. Why make up such a story, what is accomplished, what is gained? I don't know, all I care about is the music - Italian film scores are all that matters. As far as I am concerned everything else is "monkeys in a cage throwing their poop at each other" - if you know what I mean. I will post your comments on The Society board. Everyone will be relieved - confused, but relieved! - John"

I understand Claudio's frustration, but in point of fact, as far myself and The European Film Score Society is concerned, there has been no "underworld of gossip". Everything we encountered was immediately posted and openly shared - emphasis on "openly" as in "above-ground". To us this was not gossip, to us this was a "potentially true report" of something awful and irreversible happening to that thing which we care about most - Silver Age Italian film scores. And with that in mind I believe we acted accordingly. What this boils down to now is "What is the truth?" Who knows the truth, Lionel or Claudio? I personally feel logic demands that we must believe Claudio, and not because I think Lionel is a liar, but because Claudio is "The Number One Man in Rome" as regard Italian film music and there is no way around this fact. Maybe Lionel was mistaken, or maybe Lionel discovered something dark happening at RCA that Claudio has not yet observed (God forbid). I hope that Claudio is totally right and that all RCA holdings are safe and intact. Please feel free to express your views on this. - JohnB

bipcress, November 10, 2010; 8:16 AM

I think I would go with Claudio on this one. No offense to posters in the soundtrack community; however, most of the evidence is purely circumstantial. As a lover of Italian film scores, I am relieved unreleased tapes are safe.

Best,
Jeremy

Jmicpilars, November 10, 2010; 3:51 PM

Well I'm glad to read it's a huge bullshit.

victoravalentine, November 10, 2010; 5:38 PM

Perhaps I am being paranoid, but I am still worried over the very fact of what exactly it was that Lionel was referring to. He was pretty clear about tapes being destroyed. Yes, there is obviously confusion here and probably even misinformation afoot, but something prompted Lionel. What did he see, or what did he hear? I believe Claudio, but I also have faith in my friend Lionel. I am conflicted and this leaves me still in a state of concern. I hate this and I wish it would go away! And by the way, just for the record, Silver Age Italian film score tapes have been destroyed in the past. If not for Franco DeGemini of BEAT Records saving tapes from the bonfire (and God bless him for it) we would not today have Nicolai's magnificent GLI FUMAVANO LE COLT LO CHIAMAVANO CAMPOSANTO and UN UOMO CHIAMATO APOCALISSE JOE on CD. Can you imagine the extent of the loss if these two glorious works had been wiped off the face of the Earth?

bipcress, November 11, 2010; 3:01 AM

Contribute an answer