Forum - General Questions

Question

"Legend of the Guardians" CD question...

Hello.

I've recently purchased the CD from the movie LEGEND OF THE GUARDIANS: THE OWLS OF GA'HOOLE at eBay. Although it has been released by WaterTower Music, which I think is a subsidiary company of Warner Bros., I've noticed the CD hasn't got a regular distribution. In fact, my copy had a golden sticker with the words "Borders Exclusive" on the plastic wrap.

Do any of you know why is this CD so hard to find by regular sources, and what does mean "Borders Exclusive"?

Thanks in advance...

Best regards,
Angel

angeldibujo, November 21, 2010; 7:38 PM

Answers

Borders is the name of a bookstore chain in the US, and they apparently had a an exclusive right to sell this CD. The number produced seems to have been limited, since Borders stores quickly sold out and seem unable to get more. This would seem to be a strange marketing agreement for the CD publisher, because it limited sales to certain stores that do not exist in all areas where people might want to buy their product. It also appears that the CD was only available in the physical stores, not on the company website. It is a short-sighted marketing strategy, restricting sales that otherwise might have been much greater. Perhaps WaterTower will later issue a more general release, perhaps not.

betenoir, November 22, 2010; 1:19 AM

Thank you for your clear explanation, Betenoir.

I don't like those commercial strategies that limit the number of copies available, and let the few existing copies reach insane prices. I hope WatrerTower will release more copies to reach a wider audience. That score could be a best seller...

Regards,
Angel

angeldibujo, November 22, 2010; 5:12 PM

I assume that since the movie is based on a series of books, they felt
like choosing a bookstore as the exclusive outlet made sense.

dstrohmeng, November 22, 2010; 7:49 PM

Guess what ?
If you there : http://legendoftheguardians.warnerbros.com/
and click on "soundtrack" your reach Itunes.
Same as CD ?

RVT.cinebxl, November 23, 2010; 11:53 AM

Contribute an answer