Forum - General Questions

Question

Dracula Soundtrack: Varese Sarabande

Hey everybody, I just joined. Nice to see a site for soundtrack collectors like myself. Well I used to collect, now I'm getting rid of them to save space, which leads me to my 2 questions.

1) Where can I go to get an idea of what my soundtrack CDs are worth?

2) I have a John Williams Dracula CD put out by Varese Sarabonde in 1990 that's in near mint condition. I bought it at a store for probably $10 and now I'm looking online and people are selling it between $50 and $200. Are they cockoo or is this CD actually worth something? I look forward to your responses.

shawndumont7, December 15, 2010; 10:36 PM

Answers

Hello to Shawn,
I, too have a CD of this Williams effort, I bought it for about 30
dollars a good few years back. It is a shocker to see what its
expected to collect on ebay. I have also concluded that it is very
below-par John Williams, despite the presence of the mighty LSO.
This might cause a stir among its fans!
The music is not based on a variety of themes and the ones it
does have seem pretty poor to me. In my opinion, if it was readily
available commercially then that would knock the mystique off the
thing and the high rating that it seems to have. As it is, its
compositional value is only in relation to its rarity. I may be shot
for saying this!

DAMSLATTERY, December 16, 2010; 3:49 AM

I like it a lot more than DAMSLATTERY did, and I think it is worth considerably more than $10, but in the current market even $50 might be too high. Certainly not $200. You can check eBay for both current prices and a selling price history up to 30 days old. That is only semi-accurate for establishing value, because something that does not sell for a few weeks at a low price might fetch a much higher price a week later just because more than one person starts looking for the item. Conversely something might sell really high one week, but others listed a week later will not sell for so much simply because the buyer who would pay top dollar already got one. For example, about two weeks ago someone paid $132.50 for a Varese Club Predator, but another a week later brought only $43.75.

A Dracula sold on eBay earlier this month for $34, but another did not sell at $40. Others were priced at $55-100, but did not sell, of course.

It's much harder to find a good valuation recently than a year or more ago, when sales were more frequent and more consistently priced. the economy means many collectors are either broke or being much more patient while looking for bargains.

betenoir, December 16, 2010; 7:22 PM

DRACULA is one of my favorite Williams scores, and one I felt he deserved an Oscar nomination for. I told that to the film's director, John Badham, when I met Badham in 1984, and handed him my original MCA cassette to autograph. Badham told me "You know, you're one of the few people who bought this"...which means it wasn't a big seller for MCA back then.

kriegerg69, December 19, 2010; 8:30 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. I actually did end up selling this to someone for $40. It was sad to see it go, but I've just been sinking the money back into my eBay store. Hopefully my soundtrack/score collection will be pretty awesome one day. I came across some pretty cool Varese CDs in a bargain bin the other day: Total Recall, Ghost, Shadows of the Empire, The Thorn Birds, House on Haunted Hill.

shawndumont7, March 25, 2011; 6:00 PM

Contribute an answer