Forum - General Questions

Question

WERNER HERZOG: NOSFERATU THE VAMPYRE SOUNDTRACK QUESTION.

Hi Everybody! I have just seen the 1979 Werner Herzog remake of NOSFERATU THE VAMPYRE starring Klaus Kinski and Bruno Ganz (which I recorded on BBC2 in the run up to Christmas) I have one question: What is the music that plays over the really creepy opening title sequence, with the mumified skulls in the cave? I have looked at both the music credits for the film and on YouTube. YouTube states it is the Prelude to Das Rheingold by Richard Wagner - but I am not convinced. I have bought and downloaded the Prelude to Das Rheingold off iTunes, and although, the music is used in the film, it is not the track used in the opening title sequence. Fortunately, I love Richard Wagner's music, so I am not disappointed (this was the same music used in the opening scene of Terence Malick's most recent film, THE NEW WORLD). According to both the music credits on the film itself and information on the imdb website: other score music is by Popol Vuhl and Florian Fricke and Charles Gounod: "Sanctus" - but I'm not sure it is either of them. Does the original soundtrack album to the film contain this music? Can anybody help? I would value any information you can give me. Thanks and best wishes, from Danny.

DannyBowes, January 29, 2011; 6:46 PM

Answers

Hi,
order the Popol Vuh Box at amazon.com ...
"Brüder des Schattens Söhne des Lichts" is the Track that was used for the Main Title
Sequence...

Marcel

marcel.korrodi, January 30, 2011; 4:58 PM

The track "Brüder des Schattens" is also included in the NOSFERATU single edition released by SPV Recordings in 2004. That track was composed by Popol Vuh leader, Florian Fricke, and performed by his famous band.

I think this recording, presented in digipack and featuring the beautiful poster art of the film in the cover, is widely available and not expensive.

Kind regards,
Angel

angeldibujo, February 5, 2011; 9:40 AM

Contribute an answer