Forum - General Questions

Question

John Barry 1933 - 2011

We have just received the sad news that John Barry has died. See our Short News section.

ton.werkman, January 31, 2011; 3:11 AM

Answers

Shocked!!!

Barry sort of started it all for me in 1978. His typical sound gave me
the best film music experience of all time!

Thanks Mr Barry for everything.

hellomike, January 31, 2011; 6:19 AM

Its a black day for me and all the Soundtrack-lovers...
All i can say at this moment... thank you Maestro Barry for the Music...
R.I.P. :-((

marcel.korrodi, January 31, 2011; 8:22 AM

Very sad news. His music was the start of my collection years ago. His music will live forever. He left us many great scores. I have seen many new names as composers for film. John Barry can not be replaced. He was one of the few big ones. There are only a few left...

s.tonkens, January 31, 2011; 11:55 AM

R.I.P MR BARRY

si4homer, January 31, 2011; 2:12 PM

Rest in peace, JB.

victoravalentine, January 31, 2011; 2:45 PM

I'll always remember the score from THE BLACK HOLE. Thanks, JB.

Jmicpilars, January 31, 2011; 5:22 PM

One of the true artists of movie music has gone... Rest in peace, John Barry.

angeldibujo, January 31, 2011; 5:33 PM

Just heard The deep: what a marvelous score. A fantastic musical description of danger and beauty of the sea. I remember when i first saw Body heat and you see William Hurt half naked when he looks in the night and you seem to feel the heat of the night through John Barrys music. Although not one of my absolute favs he left his footprints in the kingdom of film music. Rest in peace and give them good music in heaven.

peter-anselm, January 31, 2011; 5:33 PM

As many others, I got into film music because of John Barry's Bond scores. His demise, just like Jerry Goldsmith's, reduces the ranks of the giants in film music.

Now there are only John Williams and Ennio Morricone left.

Farewell, John.

Urs

handstand, January 31, 2011; 6:01 PM

JOHN BARRY WILL ALWAYS LIVE IN OUR HEARTS AND SOULS,ONE
OF THE TRUE GIANTS OF FILM MUSIC,THANK YOU JOHN FOR THE
WONDERFUL MUSIC YOU GAVE US MAY YOU
ALWAYS LIVE IN HEAVEN

tpla48, February 1, 2011; 3:57 AM

I've been an admirer of Barry's unique music for almost 40 years. What can one say? It's the end of an era. Thank you maestro for your artistry and life-affirming music.

ajvin9, February 2, 2011; 11:05 PM

Really upset to hear of John's passing. He imbued so much melody into peoples lives, his body of work is a testament to the man. I especially loved his groundbreaking music from the 1960's. The song Wednesday's Child from The Quiller Memorandum is a favourite of mine not only because I was born on a wednesday but because it is so damn beautiful. John Barry and Matt Monroe, it just does'nt come any better. Rest in peace John.

gerry.hill, February 3, 2011; 4:22 PM

The death of JOHN BARRY is a great loss. And while, I don't mean to be disrespectful of the man - the one thing that put me off Barry slightly is is ability to write really sad music. Like MORRICONE, Barry could write really sad themes and music, to the point where the music was genuinely physically upsetting. Word of advice: if you are feeling depressed or suffer from Depression, don't listen to John Barry. I offer for the record these sad Barry scores: RAISE THE TITANIC, WALKABOUT, CHAPLIN. Does anybody else find this aswell? The one positive thing I hope to come out of Barry's death is that I hope a full, expanded score album will be released to his 1979 masterpiece: THE BLACK HOLE. Best wishes, Dan.

DannyBowes, February 9, 2011; 2:19 PM

Contribute an answer