Forum - General Questions
 
Question

Advice on selling a large soundtrack collection located in Northern Italy

Hello everyone,

I am reaching out to the members of this forum to seek advice from those more experienced than I am on the best way to approach the sale of a large, private music collection located in Northern Italy.

The collection comprises over 30,000 cataloged items, including approximately one-third CDs, one-third LPs, one-sixth 7" singles, various EPs, box sets and a smaller selection of books and DVDs.

The core focus of the collection is film music and soundtracks, with particularly extensive sections dedicated to Ennio Morricone, Jerry Goldsmith, Piero Piccioni, John Barry, John Williams, Georges Delerue, Elmer Bernstein, Miklós Rózsa and Henry Mancini. Among the most represented labels are Varèse Sarabande, CAM, Intrada, La-La Land Records, RCA, Capitol, Columbia, United Artists and numerous other specialized Italian and international labels.

The collection's database has been cleaned up and organized using AI (so there might be some minor inaccuracies) and lists the following details for each item: title, composer/artist, format, label, catalog number, condition (mostly Excellent/Near Mint/Mint/Sealed, as it was built by a single collector) and other relevant notes. The collection includes sealed copies, promotional editions, limited runs, Japanese pressings with OBI and Italian library music or soundtrack releases.

I would like to gather expert advice on the most sensible approach to selling this collection. Please note that there is no urgency to sell quickly, nor are there any specific constraints, other than the fact that I cannot dedicate hours and hours every day to this as if it were a full-time job.

A few questions for the community:

Would it be better to offer the collection as a single bulk lot, divide it into thematic lots (and if so, what would be the best criteria?) or cherry-pick the most valuable pieces to sell individually?
Which sections might be of greatest interest and whom should I approach (e.g., specialized dealers, auction houses, private collectors, etc.)?
Which platforms, intermediaries or sales methods do you consider most reliable for a collection of this scale?
What information and photographs should I prepare before contacting potential buyers?
In the initial phase, would it be more effective to share a short descriptive document (e.g., most represented composers, key highlights, photos, etc.), a representative catalog excerpt (e.g., a list of 1,000 items selected by specific criteria) or the complete inventory file?

I would like to thank in advance any collectors, dealers or other members who have experience in this area or have managed the sale of record or soundtrack collections of a similar size. Any practical advice would be highly appreciated.

fausta.pagani, October 4, 2026; 6:45 PM

Answers
 Contribute an answer