Forum - General Questions

Question

The Good,The Bad,The Ugly soundtracks

Which Ennio Morricone soundtrack is the best to own, the GDM Music release? or The one that was released in america last year?
I would like to own the one with the best sound, and complete score.
Thanks.

tponder, January 31, 2005; 9:17 PM

Answers

The GDM and the US Capitol releases have the same content, which means the complete score. I have never heard the American CD, but I doubt the Americans bothered with any sound changes because the GDM, which I have, has a perfect sound.
But the GDM has quite tiny booklet. I don't know how looks the booklet of the US release.

42zaphod, February 1, 2005; 1:22 AM

There was a thread about it at moviemusic.com many, many months ago.

One CD had score that the other didn't and the previously unreleased cues are in Mono.

tharpdevenport, February 1, 2005; 7:14 AM

I have never heard the American release, but I understand that it contains the same version of "A Story of a Soldier" that was released on the original EMI edition which was recorded for the album and is not the version used in the film. The GDM edition contains the film version of this track. Also, the GDM edition contains the full, extended version of the final track, "The Trio", whilst the American edition uses the same, short version found on the original EMI edition.

satanbug69, February 1, 2005; 7:59 PM

The differences between the GDM and american releases are: -
GDM version: - Story of a soldier is the film version, in mono with remastered sound, it differs very slightly (barely noticeably) from the film version, as they are both edited down from the original recording which is actually quite a bit longer as that scene was orginally quite a bit longer.

The Trio: - contains the original album version with 2nd part of the film version (chimes and drum rolls and such, followed by the cornet bit and the finish) tacked on at the end of the album version.

The Ecstasy of Gold actually has better sound on this version.

The american release: -
Has slightly better sound overall, except 'The ecstasy of gold', which sounds a bit flat.

'The trio' and 'story of a soldier' are from the original album on this version.

Hope this helps.

, February 1, 2005; 9:22 PM

Contribute an answer